Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Circle of Life

Let's get right to it, my Nana is sick. It all started a couple of weeks ago and we've gotten the final diagnosis, she has pancreatic cancer. Prognosis is not good. She is at home with my Mom & Dad and they are "keeping her comfortable". It's the phrase the doctor keeps repeating to my Mom. I guess it's nicer than saying "she's dying". My Nana is 92 and has been on her own for over 20 years. It doesn't make it easier but, we did know we would lose Nana someday. It makes me sad at moments like this that I'm not closer to home. My Mom sounds so tired, it can't be easy to take care of your mother while she is dying. I would love to be there to give her a break. My Nana was out for a visit in January and I'm very sad I didn't get any pictures of her with Cayden. My thinking was that we'd be going home for a visit sometime this year and I'd get some then. You know what they say about living in the moment. Why is it we always realize how short our time is here when something bad happens to someone we love?!?

Nana is my last grandparent and I'm sad my children won't have a chance to know her. Dania is too young to really remember her and Cayden will have no memories of her. Even if we were closer that wouldn't change. My biggest hope for my Nana is just that she doesn't suffer. I know pancreatic cancer is not a very nice cancer(are any of them really) but, I do hope she's "comfortable" until the end.

Other than that, today was a good day in the Hullah household. Dania had a great day reading "The Cat in the Hat" to her brother and me. It's amazing how quickly she picks up the story. No more skipping pages to get her to bed quicker! Cayden is still teething but, is happy as can be. (Unless he's hungry and then get the bottle already!!) We are hating that it is still snowing at the beginning of May but, I'm sure it will be gone soon. Dania can't wait to get outside with her skipping rope. I'm looking forward to packing everyone up and going outside walking!!

OK, so I really should be off to bed while both children are asleep. If we're lucky they will both sleep through the night! Looking forward to a nice weekend with my family and I'll keep you posted on my Nana! Take care and don't leave anything unsaid!! xo


2 comments:

  1. Peggy, sorry to hear about your Nana. It is hard to be so far away when family is sick.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete