Today is my birthday and it's a bittersweet day for me. I had a great day and I love getting spoiled, don't get me wrong but, it is a day when I miss my girlfriend more than usual. Cindy always called me on my birthday, maybe a couple days late or early but, she always called. It might have been months since we'd talked but, I could count on that phone call and looked forward to it. Last year was my first birthday without Cindy and I was amazed at how much I missed the call. I'm sure every year will be the same and I wonder if it will get easier.
Those phone calls were always so special but, like everything, I took for granted that I'd always get them. How many times are we on the phone and doing what we think we do best, multi-tasking?!? We hear about 80% of the conversation, or at least enough that we can answer appropriately but, if we were quizzed on what was said 10 minutes after the fact I'm sure most of us would fail miserably. Since Cindy has passed I try to enjoy each day and be present in every moment. I spent a week with her a couple of months before she passed away and I can tell you every conversation we had over that week because I didn't want to forget a thing. Do I wish I could go back and have a "do-over" on some of those phone calls? ABSOLUTELY!! Unfortunately, we don't often get second chances so, I try to make up for it now and remember what's important.
I had a great birthday with my wonderful family and got spoiled rotten by my husband. I miss Cindy and wish I could pick up a special phone to give her a call just to have that one last phone call. My birthday wish this year is that I don't take anything for granted - life is too short and you never know what tomorrow will bring. Enjoy your week everyone and I'll be back again soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment